Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Silhouette Art (whole fam)

Wow! I'm back. This blog fell off the back burner, down behind the stove, and I had to dig it out from amongst the Christmas and New Year's crumbs. Sorry about that....but, now I'm back.

Ok, we did so many great projects over the break. By we, I mean, Jon. I did a few, too, but I was mostly cooking, sitting on the couch, cooking, sitting in my bed, cooking...you get the idea. I love the holiday break with the kids, but since today is the first day of school, I'm ready to get back in the saddle.

One of the projects that I accomplished that turned out way better than I anticipated was this fun silhouette art. We've recently turned one of our upstairs "bedrooms" into a media room (more on that in a later post). We hung the TV, and it just needed a little somem-somem around it on the wall.

Here's how I started:


I really liked these warm brown "wood" frames, from Fred Meyer. They were 20% off, so they were 8x10 frames for only $7 each. Then, I'd bought this super nice Christmas wrapping paper at One Kings Lane, and had a good amount left. I just couldn't let it go to waste. I feel the same way about paper that I do about fabric--love it! This works well with the color scheme in the media room, so I thought it would be a good backdrop for the silhouettes.


The hardest part of this project was to find good silhouette pictures of everyone, already in my stash. I did have to take one of Avery, but I thought that was pretty good for 7 "people"...5 humans, 2 dogs. Since it was just for a silhouette, I printed it off my regular printer. The next step is sizing.



I had to make sure everyone's silhouette were basically the same size. I just cut out the picture I printed out, to check for size. I resized as needed. Then, I used this white silhouette to trace onto black poster board. At first, I thought it would be hard to get an accurate trace (w/ pencil) onto black poster board, but it was totally fine. Cut out the poster board, and voila!


Here they are framed.


They are currently hung on the wall in the media room, and look fantastic. Watch for that post coming soon! See how dark it looks outside? And how messy my kitchen is? And how I'm not making dinner? Does anyone else take on a major project right at dinner time? Why do I do this??? Oh well.

1 comment:

Alison said...

So glad you're back. Love reading your posts and getting inspired.